College. Debatably one of the most stressful periods in a young adults life. It is a time full of challenges, important decisions, drunk mistakes, and a time to reflect on how how our society shapes our sexual interactions. The topic of rape culture on college campuses has been a topic that has resonated deeply with me as I am finishing my final months at Vanderbilt and have been both directly and indirectly effected as a result of my time on campus.
It is estimated that 1 in 10 rape victims are men and that almost 94% of these sexual assault cases are perpetrated by men. That leaves a small 6% of rapes committed by women against men. Men face many social and legal double standards when it comes to cases in which the woman is the aggressor. Recently, actor Shia LaBeouf came forward to tell his side of things with regards to being raped by a female visitor during an art exhibit he was participating in. This case has caused much debate on the topic of women rapists. But what does the public think about sexual assault cases where attractive women are accused of harming an individual who “would be lucky to have them”? This is the question that is currently being asked in a case involving a former Ravens Cheerleader and an underage boy.
Over the past decade, Shonda Rhimes has changed how women and minorities are perceived on television, and as a result, in society as a whole. She continuously tackles the concepts of power and sexuality through steamy and intimate scenes in her show “Scandal” demonstrating that it is no longer a heternormative, white man’s world.
It’s that time of year again! While most people and families are celebrating all the gifts that we are fortunate to have in our life, gathering around beautifully garnished tables or decorating Christmas trees, much of our nation will be tuning in to watch scantily clad woman on the catwalk. Yep, that’s right! It’s almost time for Victoria’s Secret Annual Fashion Show.
What do Jake Gyllenhaal, Cynthia Nixon, Neil Patrick Harris, and Idina Menzel all have in common? Continue reading
In our heteronormative society, monogamy is most frequently seen as the only correct type of relationship to be in. Our family and friends as well as childhood movies and television teach us that we should aspire to have an exclusive relationship with someone of the opposite sex that will end in a marriage, and ultimately, happily ever after. But what if that is not enough? What if a relationship with one individual does not satisfy the emotional and physical needs of a person? Continue reading